Monday, December 10, 2007

OMG! It's Katherine Heigl!

Now, i know you are getting a little sick of the Katherine Heigl news, but it seems that none of my other Grey's Anatomy favorites are doing much with their lives outside of the show. And while combatting an overwhelming wave of boredom at work today, I realized I have been a Katherine Heigl fan for quite some time without even knowing it.

In 1996, I was 8 years old and absolutely crazy about Disney movies. You know, those made for TV type movies that have a feel good happy ending on the Disney Channel? Remember those? Well, anyways, my favorite Disney movie of all time was this movie called Wish Upon a Star, barring the yearly presentation of the Nutcracker Prince.

Wish Upon a Star was a fantastically cheezy movie about two high school aged sisters who both secretly wish that they had the other one's life. One of the sisters is tall, beautiful, popular and has a gorgeous boyfriend. The other is a short, stumpy, super smart loner. While sitting outside one night, they see the same shooting star and wish that they were each other. And it works! Hilarity ensues, but the important part of the movie is that they have a better understanding of each other in the end and eventually even end up liking each other.

After watching the movie for the first time, my eight year old brain was struck by the awesomeness of the older sister and the ability of the actress that played her to go from bitchy popular girl, to completely beleivable sweetheart in one scene. Okay, so the other actress had to go from sweet to bitchy, too. But I find that once you have made a first impression on me, it's rather hard to change it. In all fairness, I should have hated the popular girl for the rest of time because of my initial impression of her. But, no. I believed her to be honestly nice on the inside.

Anyways, just a few nights ago, I was laying in bed wondering to myself, whatever happened to that movie. It was a damn good movie. So, i looked it up on IMDB and lo-and-behold, the star of the movie is Katherine Heigl as the tall, popular, pretty sister. And now I know why I loved the popular sister's character so much. She was the set-up for the character Izzie Stevens. But, Katherine Heigl as a brunette kind of throws me off a little bit. She's barely recognizeable. Which is probably why I didn't realize it was her until IMDB enlightened me. Thank you Internet Movie Database.

Katherine Heigl (pictured right) as Alexia Wheaton in Wish Upon a Star

No comments: