Friday, October 26, 2007

My personal Grey's experience

I didn't exactly get a chance to see Grey's last night, so I don't have a preview for you. Why?

Cause, I spent last night in the hospital. Boy was that ever fun.

See, earlier yesterday morning, I went to health services to be checked out by a doctor. He listened to my lungs and was like holy hell we've never heard asthma that bad. So he prescribed me an artillery of drugs. I filled my prescription and I took the z-pack since the other one wasn't supposed to be started until the morning. Almost immediately I started feel cramps. Cramps that only got worse as the hours passed. And then i threw up, and it says right there on the z-pack package that you're not supposed to do that. So I called health services again, told them my problems and they basically said, um, get down here now. So i got myself dressed, slowly, since the blinding pain in my abdomen was nearly unbearable, and i walked myself to health services with tears running down my face from the pain. The people at health services didn't know what the hell to do so they told me they were calling an ambulance and sending me to the hospital. Alone. I freaked out and called my roommate, Laura, who is a nursing student and she hurried over from target and ran through health services to be there for me. So she came with me to the hospital.

The ambulance got there and the EMT guy loaded me into the back. He told me I had to lie on the gurney. I asked him if that was absolutely necessar. After all, i had gotten all the way to the ambulance on my own the two feet. I just got a look. So i laid down on the gurney and got hooked up to all kinds of beepy machines and got an IV put in. So I rode in the back of an ambulance for the first time ever. Then they loaded me into the hospital on the gurney. First time ever. Once at the hospital they put me in a wheelchair with an place to hang my IV. I got to tell you, I felt kind of old sitting in a wheelchair hooked up to an IV with a blanket sitting in my lap. They brought me into some little room with a computer so some lady could take my information. And then the vomiting started up again. Several times. Do you know how hard it is to tell a nurse your home address and phone number while puking up everything you have left in your body?Anyways, then they let me sit in the waiting room for about three hours. Where I continued to have blinidng pain and random bouts of nausea. During this time it occured to me that I had to call my mom. If I didn't call her and tell her I was in the hospital, I knew she would be really upset. But at the same time, I knew she would freak out. So I called her and did everything I could to calm her down. I even let Laura talk to her. Nothing was doing it. So she got off the phone and called my aunt, who works in the pacU of salem hospital. And my aunt came down in the middle of her shift to check up on me. Family, right. I was finally seen, hooked up to another IV, this time with lots of different meds and stuff for the nausea (which didn't work). Had two nebulizer treatments because the pain was acting up my asthma. And got a chest x ray to make sure i don't have pneumonia. I don't. Yay!

As I was sitting there waiting, Laura was taking pictures of all the different things they were doing to me. Nursing majors, what are you gonna do with them, right? Then some nurse moved me out into the hall because a trauma was incoming and they needed my room. I continued to just sit there, with no more treatments left to take and nothing to do for about another hour, cause my doctor was nowhere to be seen to discharge me.When my aunt got out of work, she came down and got the ball rolling. Turns out, she has a friend in the ER, who discharged me. My aunt took out my IV and i was ready to go.

Thing was, no one could give me anything for the pain in my stomach so, I just have to ride it out until the Z pack gets out of my system. Turns out, that was the problem all along. Seriously bad reaction to the Z- pack, the heaviest, longest lasting antibiotic health services could muster up. And even though the pain isn't as intense or frequent, i still have it and will continue to have it until the Z-pack gets out of my system. Yay.

Did i mention i'm not a huge fan of hospitals, unless i'm watching them on tv?

No comments: